Sunday, March 23, 2008

WCC: Moroccan Chicken

For years I lived without a crock pot. It was only about 3 years ago that they caught my attention. Cookbooks were featuring delicious-sounding recipes that would cook themselves while you worked, played, or slept. So, I began to change my way of thinking and started researching the various brands of slow cookers. I think it must have something to do with marketing. Doesn't 'slow cooker' sound more appealing than 'crock pot'?

Anyway, I finally narrowed my choice down to one slow cooker (all-clad), so I went ahead and bought it and immediately started preparing a variety of delicious dinners with minimal fuss. It was nice to come home to a fragrant house and a ready-to-go meal.

Since the time I bought my slow cooker, my family decided to disperse and go off to college, travel, or move across country, so I have fewer opportunities to use it now. But, when I know I'll be away most of the day and too tired to cook when I get home or when I have to contribute a potluck dinner, I fire up the trusty all-clad. It's become one of my favorite cooking tools.

This recipe is a favorite among family and friends and really easy to assemble and cook, so I'm submitting it to the Weekend Cookbook Challenge (WCC), hosted this month by the always-amusing Lis of La Mia Cucina. Stop by her blog for a funny-good time.




Moroccan Chicken
(from Saving Dinner by Leanne Ely)

2 16-ounce cans garbanzo beans, drained
1 12-ounce can diced tomatoes
1 small red bell pepper, seeded & cut into 1-inch squares
1 small red onion, chopped
1/2 cup golden raisins
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1/4 cup chicken broth
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 tablespoons ground cumin
3 to 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch cubes
2 tablespoons peanut butter

Place garbanzo beans, tomatoes, bell pepper, onion, raisins, tomato paste, broth, garlic, and cumin in a slow cooker. Mix until well combined.

Place chicken on top of the bean mixture. Cover. Cook on low heat setting for 6-7 hours, or until the chicken is tender. Stir in peanut butter.

Serves 6.

Serve with couscous and vegetables.

Thanks also to Sara from I like to cook for creating WCC.

1 comment:

Lis said...

Judy! You rock! Your Moroccan Chicken looks simply scrumptious! Thank you so much for participating! :D

I've a question I've always wanted to ask you.. why is your blog called Judy's Gross Eats when you cook/bake such deliciousness? There's nothing gross about your eats! :D

xoxo